Header

Header

Share Button

NG1

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Exclusive: "Nigerians may call contortion weird, but i will make a better future out of it" - Contortionist, Famuagun Emmanuel

Contortion (ism) is a performance art in which performers, known as contortionists, showcase their skills of physical flexibility. They are skilled at stretching their bodies into different shapes, mostly due to spinal flexibility and strength. LIB featured a Nigerian Contortionist that became an internet sensation when photos of him practicing his art went viral on NG social media 

Nigerians were curious about this 'contortionist', some praising his skills, others dismissing it as weird. To educate our readers and others on the art of contortion and also find out more, we reached to Emmanuel and here's what he had to say.
LIB: Tell us about yourself, when did you start to contort and how long has this been going on for?

I'm Famuagun Emmanuel, 18, from Ekiti state but reside in Lagos, about to enter into a higher institution. I discovered my flexibility in 2014. My entire body was not all that flexible as contortion demands, but my hand was. I started building myself, working towards my goal with a full mind of determination, telling myself that I'm going to do something that is not common.

LIB: Do you now do this for a living? Is your skill a possible industry in Nigeria or just a part of the dance industry?

I haven't gotten a platform yet. Indeed i want to excel in this, but i don't have the connections to put it together. Its a different concept. Some people may call contortion weird, but its far more than that. It's uncommon in Nigeria and unique. Although, we can partially link it to the dance industry.

LIB: How often do you practice and are you restricted to a certain diet?

I practice at least twice a day. I cant afford to relent. If i do, my body wont adapt to it. Sometimes at midnight, i practice to maintain my flexibility.  I avoid solid food. It's already a part of me and my body rejects it. It's actually the way i trained myself.

LIB: Do you have any coach, partners? People involved in the art of contorting?

I'm on my own. No one taught me how to do this, I taught myself. I made a lot of online research to guide my training and the results were good.

LIB:  Have you ever sustained any injuries from contorting?

Yes, several times. I believe No Pain, No Gain. I've had dislocations. Mostly when i go extreme or when i try something I've never done for the very first time.

LIB: How well was all of this received by your family? Support or it was overlooked?

My parents haven't really observed it. Just my elder brother. I don't stay with my mother and my dad is a busy man at work.

LIB: What are your plans to refine your skill? Have you created any portfolio or platform for people to see and appreciate your work?

My plan is to show the world what I can do. I aspire to be famous worldwide because i believe i'm capable performing my art in a unique way and can make a better future out of it. So far, I've shared photos of my myself performing my art, via social media; Facebook and Instagram to be precise.

Care to impact into his dreams? He can be reached on . Instagram.com/official_elflex ...

More photos below...







No comments:

Post a Comment